Portland Energy Plant
RPS assessed the likely significant effect on Cultural Heritage for a proposed 40,000tpa energy plant within the historic Portland Naval Base.
The Naval base was established during the 1840s with the Inner Breakwater scheme being completed in 1872. The East Weare Battery was built during the 1860s and is a Scheduled Ancient Monument and a listed building.
Development of the Portland Naval Dockyard continued during the twentieth century, with Portland Harbour and the naval dockyard being extensively used during both the first and second world wars. Portland Naval Dockyard was disposed of by MOD during the mid 1990s and many of the naval buildings were demolished.
A number of buildings and structures survived within the proposed development area. A number of the early structures, including the Inner Breakwater, Victualling Store and Dockyard Offices are listed buildings.
RPS prepared a baseline assessment and Environmental Statement chapter. Negotiations with the District Conservation Officer led to the submission of a planning application with no objections to the proposed development on the grounds of cultural heritage.